Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

Count Your Blessings

Count Your Blessings


Well hello everyone! Here I am finally writing my first blog post. It seems that I should write about my interests and all about myself so that you can get to know me. But honestly, I have much more on my mind these days and something else seems like it holds more importance.

Small information about myself: I have been blessed to have met the love of my life my sophomore in college. My boyfriend, Tony, has been in my life for almost three years now and we just got our first place here in Iowa a few months ago. Dating him and moving onto the next step in our lives has already brought us on so many fantastic journeys. 

I can't wait to tell you all about how wonderful my family, friends, and boyfriend are but first things are about to get deep.

Tony has an uncle that was diagnosed with cancer less than a year ago. The cancer has spread to almost every part of his body and this healthy, crude, and loved man is now silent, unable to move, and nearing the end of his life. Last thursday, we were told that his engaged daughter had decided to have her wedding...in TWO days. For most people, this would be impossible. But in this family, this meant that everyone was to work together to put on a wedding that focused on the two most important things in life.

Love and family.

Now this is where I get all mushy gushy...

After 36 hours of planning and decorating, they decided to have the wedding in her brother's warehouse on the farm. Her uncle, (who had forgotten about his ability) officiated the wedding and her good friend was the DJ. 

Hours and hours went by as family members picked up food, hung lights, laid out burlap, and set tables for a night full of honesty and reflection.

The sight of the beautiful bride being accompanied down the isle by her brother and wheelchair-bound dad left every eye bubbled with tears. The night was simple but beautiful and touched on every important aspect of marriage and family.

In addition to every mother, father, grandparent, sister, and child, I found myself reflecting about my own time on this earth and the beautiful people who surround me during it. I found myself laughing at Pinterest wedding boards (yes, I do have one- its so large I'm embarrassed now) and 2 year engagements to plan a wedding. I came to the conclusion that I want a small wedding in which the focus is love and appreciation of the wonderful time we are allotted on this earth. Until this last weekend, I dreamed of big and showy moments in my wedding that would "show" how much we were in love. It was not until this last weekend that I understood I had the entire idea backwards. 

Love is a journey that we experience with many people along our path of life.


There should never be a day without "I love you" and "Thank You" to the people around you because life is too short. Its a shame we get such a short amount of time with such wonderful things and people and it is pertinent that we make our mark on this earth through gentle love and affection.





No comments:

Post a Comment